Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Monster Cupcakes and Memories

Do these cupcakes remind you of something??......




Does this video totally date me? If you are over 30 and watched Sesame Street as a kid, you know you found yourself singing along!!! These cupcakes I made for Luke's birthday last week took me on a trip down memory lane. They so reminded me of the Yip Yip family martians!



These cupcakes were soooo easy. My boys helped make the eyes. And the rest was easy peasy lemon squeezy as they say. I am not saying these cupcakes didn't take some time...but they were so worth it and the boys are still talking about them!

Monster Cupcakes

12-24 cupcakes baked in orange, green, purple paper liners
12-24 mini cupcakes without liners-just spray your muffin tins
frosting - I used 2 batches of my favorite cream cheese
orange, green, or purple dye/food coloring
dum dum suckers
apple and peach rings
mini M&Ms


1. Spoon 2 Tab. vanilla frosting into a small bowl and set aside. Divide the remaining frosting into 3 bowls and tint each a different color to match your baking liners.


2. Make the eyes. Insert a lollipop stick through the gummy ring, pushing it through the candy from the center to outer edge. Bring the gummy ring up around the lollipop. Make sure you have got pairs.

3. Place a dot of tinted frosting on top of the standard cupcakes and place a mini cupcake on top, flat side down. Starting at the edge of the standard size cupcake, using orange to go with the orange cupcake liner, and purple to go with the purple cupcake liner, etc. pipe fur using your leaf tip...Wilton #352. Go around cupcake and work your way up. Refer to the below picture for samples. Make sure cupcakes are completely covered...leave nothing exposed. (I love the word exposed :)

4. Insert two matching eyes into the top of the monster. Add brown mini M&M eyes with white frosting you set aside. You can add a colored M&M nose if you would like.





String Monster variation...

These were my favorite and so easy!

Follow steps 1 & 2 above. Instead of making leaves for fur, Use a #3 Wilton tip and just start squeezing. Pipe the string overlapping so that no cupcake is showing. Kids could even help with this step. Then follow step 4 above.




Yip Yip Yah! Make these for your next kid's day...or Snow Day!


1 comment:

  1. I can't believe no one has commented on these cupcakes yet. They are the cuties things I have ever seen. I wish you lived closer to us. Maybe someday I will get my wish. I love all your cool ideas. Love ya Lindsey.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...