Thursday, February 3, 2011

Clean Eating Thursday #5- Healthy Maple Almond Granola

As stated in previous posts, we here have a breakfast obsession. I am always trying out new recipes and ideas to spice up breakfast. My gal pals are always teasing me saying my kids smell like syrup when I drop them off in the morning. Boxed cereal...you are NOT welcome here!!

I love plain yogurt for breakfast. I have been sprinkling it with flaxseed, nuts, berries and agave nectar. YUM!! Well...this granola is AMAZING with yogurt. I found it in my The Happy Baker Cookbook. (Which by the way...I LOVE! The happy baker, Erin, is a crack up and her food photography is my favorite I have seen.) This granola is clean and healthy (except for the maple syrup (which you could substitute honey for if you are trying to eat 100% "clean"))

My kids were eating this dry by the handful. It is sweet and cinnamon-y and crunchy. I will be adding this to our breakfast staples.

Healthy Maple-Almond Granola
Source: The Happy Baker

Put the following ingredients into your cart...
1/2 cup Maple Syrup
2 Tab. honey
1 Tab. vegetable oil
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup flaxseed meal
2 cups quick oats
1 cup slivered or whole almonds
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut
1 cup dark/bittersweet chocolate chips
Put your apron on and...

1. Preheat your oven to 300 degrees. Spray with Pam your 9 X 13.

2. In a medium saucepan, combine syrup, honey, oil, cinnamon and nutmeg. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat. Add vanilla. Stir in the rest of your ingredients except the chocolate chips.

3. Bake for 35-45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Granola will crisp when cool. When completely cool, add chocolate chips. (I added dried cranberries. Raisins would be good too. Any dry fruit)
Store in an airtight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...