Monday, February 7, 2011

Taking Classes! And Oreo Truffles.


First of all!!! Thanks for all your Valentine's Day orders! I promise to get you your orders on time, delicious, and cute as ever! If you haven't ordered yet...check this out!


On Saturday, I took my first class at Cake Crafts. It was like three hours in heaven. I had so much fun. I came up the stairs of this little shop here in Denver, and saw my instructor... a spunky little old lady named Helen Sembra. According to store legend (I am assuming it to be a fact) she is Wilton's #1 instructor, the only instructor of gum paste, and the wall had plaques displaying the number of students she had taught so far ( I believe the latest was 9,000). She was a crack up with her own terms and quirks. I can only imagine myself with this much spunk at 82 years of age. Her wisdom was CRAZY. She knew crazy facts and tips for every step along the way. My pen couldn't take notes fast enough. I signed up for her gum paste flowers class and her intro to cake decorating class. Can't wait!

Saturday was a candy making class. Every Christmas we all hold our breath until Paul's talented sister Christine brings out her candies. I am salivating just thinking of them. She makes truffles, peanut butter cups, coconut and caramel chocolates, and chocolate covered cherries. We learned how to make all these. I may never conquer them like Christine does, but I can't wait to try.



Here are some pictures of Christine's Chocolates. And I have included a fun and easy truffle recipe I shared with the class on Saturday....Oreo truffles.







Oreo Truffles
Source: word of mouth

1 package (18 oz.) Oreo cookies crushed into small pieces (great job for the kiddos)
1 8-oz. package cream cheese, softened
White or Chocolate melts for dipping (I have used chocolate chips w/ great results...see bag for instructions with dipping. Nestle says add 1 Tab. of shortening for every 1 cup morsels)

Mix crushed Oreos and cream cheese until well-combined. Either use a food processor or a ziplock and blend with your hands (a lot harder but all I had). Roll into 1-inch balls and place on baking sheet or tray. Refrigerate until firm, 3-4 hours (or stick in the freezer for about an hour). Using 2 forks (or a spoon, but forks always work better for me), dip Oreo balls into chocolate coating and place onto waxed paper to harden. Chill and serve cold or room temperature. Makes about 30 truffles.

1 comment:

  1. I made these for christmas gifts last year. They were so yummy! Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...