Thursday, January 27, 2011

Clean Eating Thursday #4 - Veggie Packed Sloppy Joes

(Picture by Wylie Tidwell Photography)

My baby's first birthday was Tuesday. He was sick with an earache and couldn't have cared less. However, I figured I better make a big deal out of it for the big brothers and so that in the future Luke doesn't complain. I have a little sister (child #5 for my parents) who sometimes is bitter about the lack of pictures documenting her childhood in general. This little party had him in tears most of the meal. But he did enjoy his cake, or shall I say monster cupcakes. I will share them with you soon. I loved how simple they were. Anyways, I made this meal that night. Super good. I simplified the recipe like I often do with Clean Eating. But, we loved the results. I varied so much from the original recipe, I am calling this one an original! For instance, the original recipe called for bison, I used ground turkey. The original recipe had you making their marinara sauce, I used canned tomatoes, tomato paste, and some spices. I will never make Manwich again...this seemed so much healthier and guilt-free...and NATURAL.
Veggie-Packed Sloppy Joes
Loosely adapted from Clean Eating Magazine
Put in your shopping cart the following ingredients...
1 tsp. olive oil
1 1b. ground turkey breast (recipe called for ground bison, really you could use ground beef also)
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium onion, diced
2 tsp. chile powder
3/4 tsp. mustard powder
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 sweet red bell pepper
1 medium zucchini, diced
1 small eggplant (about 3/4 lb.) diced
2 carrots shredded
1 can diced tomatoes with juice (I used organic)
1/2 small can tomato paste
salt and pepper to taste
1 tab. honey or agave nectar
whole grain buns...I used the new thin, low calorie kind
Put your apron on and ...
Brown meat in skillet with olive oil. Add onion and garlic when meat is about half done. Add chile, mustard, and cayenne. (Mine was a little spicier than my boys like...next time I will be dialing down these spices...how do your kids like it? If they are bland eaters, try 1 tsp. chile powder, the mustard and called for, and leave out the cayenne.) Set meat mixture aside.
Saute bell pepper, eggplant, zucchini, and carrots about 5 minutes. Add meat mixture, tomatoes, and paste, and heat thoroughly. Test to make sure veggies are nice and soft. Add salt and pepper and honey to taste. Serve on toasted buns with forks. These put the sloppy in sloppy joes!

1 comment:

  1. That is the cutest picture ever. The sloppy joe looks great.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...